Conveyor Belt Cleaning Systems
In conveyor belt systems, carryback—i.e., material that accumulates and binds to the belt—is a leading issue. In addition to necessitating frequent maintenance operations, it can cause individual system components to experience premature wear and fatigue and the overall system to encounter performance issues. The integration of belt cleaners in a conveyor belt system is the ideal solution to these issues.
Benefits of Conveyor Belt Cleaning Systems
Belt cleaners minimize the accumulation of material during and between conveying operations. By using them, industry professionals reduce the risk of the aforementioned problems, as well as enhance the safety of employees, the operating efficiency of the system, and the productivity and profitability of the facility.
Some of the key benefits of adding a belt cleaner to a conveyor belt system include:
- Greater profitability. In conveyor applications, cleanup and maintenance are major contributors to overall costs. Minimizing or eliminating carryback, reduces cleanup and maintenance costs, resulting in increased profitability.
- Higher material usage-to-waste ratio. Belt cleaners keep bulk materials moving in the right direction by scraping the belts clean at the head pulley, ensuring a greater amount of materials make it to transfer points or into containers.
- Greater equipment longevity. Carryback often accumulates under the belt and inside the conveyor system, which can cause damage to internal components—such as rollers and idlers—and trigger the belts to wander and fray. Keeping belts clean of material accumulation helps prevent premature wear, increasing overall service life.
- Lower energy costs. Accumulated materials increase the total weight the conveyor system has to support and handle, resulting in higher energy costs. By keeping belts clean, the conveyor system does not have to work as hard to move the necessary materials, resulting in lower energy costs.
- Better work environment safety. When carryback collects under the belt, it poses a safety hazard to facility workers as they can slip and fall while trying to walk through the material. When it produces fugitive dust, it can also cause other issues when inhaled or ignited.
Conveyor Belt Cleaning Solutions From Electro-Steam
At Electro-Steam, we offer a conveyor belt cleaning system that provides all of the above benefits and more. Our Electro-Steam™ Eagle series brushless conveyor belt cleaning system is designed for full customizability to meet the cleaning and sanitizing needs of a wide range of conveyor belt systems varying in size and materials handled. Key features of the system include:
- A steam cleaner that produces dry steam vapor to break down accumulated material and sanitize the belt
- A vacuum that removes accumulated material and dries the belt surface
Among others, these components work together to produce cleaned, sanitized, and dried belt components that are ready for use in future production runs.
In contrast to other cleaning systems available in the market, the Eagle series brushless conveyor cleaning system eliminates the need for manual labor, chemicals, and wastewater disposal and meets and exceeds the regulatory requirements for food safety. These qualities make it ideal for use in consumable goods handling applications—such as in the food and beverage industries—which often employ complex and labor-intensive cleaning operations to maintain high safety and quality standards.