In the beverage industry, steam is widely used for cleaning and sanitizing operations. It is used to:
- Reach into areas that are often inaccessible to other cleaning methods (e.g., cloths, brushes), making it an effective and convenient way to clean hard-to-reach areas and equipment parts
- Quickly remove stubborn soils, including grease and oils that coat processing and packaging equipment
- Clean and sanitize the machinery used for processing beverages such as conveyor belts
It plays an important role in ensuring a facility’s processing operations meet the industry standards for safety and sanitation.
The Importance of Steam Cleaning in the Beverage Industry
Cleanliness is one of the key considerations in the beverage industry. As products made in this industry are generally intended for human consumption, manufacturers must ensure they maintain a high level of hygiene within their processing operations and equipment to guarantee the safety of their consumers and the quality of their products.
Traditional cleaning methods involve the use of water—which can damage sensitive machinery—or harsh chemicals—which can comprise the safety of processing equipment surfaces. On the other hand, dry vapor steam cleaning uses pressurized and low moisture steam to safely clean, sanitize, and dry hard-to-clean surfaces. Some of the advantages of using this method include:
- Microbial and chemical contaminants are mitigated by the high temperature and high pressure of the steam
- No water residue is left behind so equipment can be used immediately
- Food-safe quality of the processing equipment is not affected as chemicals are not used
- It is safe to use on electrical equipment and inside control panels
You May Also Like: The Importance of Steam Cleaning in the Beverage Industry
Typical Uses of Steam Cleaning for Beverage Producers
Within the beverage industry, steam is used to clean and sanitize a wide range of equipment without the use of harsh chemicals. In particular, industry professionals employ it to remove residue and contaminants—such as soil, pathogens, and insects—from:
- Bottling lines
- Condensing units
- Electrical control panels and other sensitive electrical components
- Facility structures such as wall, floors, and ceilings
- Oak barrels
- Refrigeration systems
- Stainless steel surfaces
- Storage and blending tanks
- Ventilation ducts
Benefits of Steam Cleaning for Beverage Producers
Dry steam vapor cleaning is a versatile and effective cleaning method. In addition to allowing for more thorough, chemical-free cleaning, it also provides beverage producers with the following benefits:
- More efficient kettle or tank brewing system operations due to the heat generated during the cleaning operation
- Easier equipment location and relocation as the systems employed are smaller in size
- Lower risk of fire and explosion as the systems do not use combustible products
- Faster and easier installation as the systems only require a water feed connection and electrical hookup
- A full-color operations manual
- A fully insulated chamber
- A NEMA-2 louvered stainless steel control panel
- A stainless steel cabinet/housing
- Appropriately sized safety valves possessing the ASME V Mark (these valves are built by a manufacturer holding a valid ASME Certificate of Authorization).
- Automatic low water cut off controls
- Dual automatic operating pressure controls
- Manual reset high limit pressure controls
- Stainless steel heating elements
- UL certification
Why Use Steam?
Using dry vapor steam for cleaning and sanitizing operations is both cost-efficient and eco-friendly as the method uses less water and no chemicals. Despite its gentle footprint, steam cleaning is more effective than methods that use chemicals or aggressive water techniques as steam can reach places other methods can’t and scours and sanitizes with ease.
If you’re interested in steam cleaning systems, you owe it to yourself to see what we offer at Electro-Steam. As one of the oldest manufacturers of electric steam generators, we have more than 65 years of experience providing high quality steam cleaning equipment. Our long history has given us more familiarity and understanding with the food and beverage industries than any of our competitors.
To learn more about our clean steam generators or for assistance selecting one for your beverage processing facility, contact us today.