Cleanliness is vital in hotel, restaurant, and commercial kitchens. Following proper sanitation guidelines greatly reduces the spread of illness and foodborne outbreaks (foodborne illness outbreaks. However, it can be difficult to understand exactly when and how to clean different areas of a commercial kitchen as this type of space will frequently contain a wide variety of equipment and surface materials.
Dry steam cleaners sanitize areas without the use of toxic (and harsh) chemicals, making them ideal for commercial kitchens that commonly have various equipment in tight spaces. At Electro-Steam, our commercial steam cleaners can reach temperatures of up to 240° F, well above the 160° F required to kill the majority of pathogens.
What surfaces should clean steam be used on?
Commercial kitchen steam cleaners are highly versatile and effective on a wide variety of surfaces, including:
- Dry steam cleaners are able to scrub (clean) and sanitize the surfaces of grills, flattops, and burners as needed.
- Countertops and Hard Surfaces. Since these areas frequently come into contact with food, they should be steam cleaned multiple times a day to prevent rapid growth of bacteria.
- Exhaust Hoods and Vents. These areas should be steam cleaned every few months to eliminate the buildup of grease that could eventually restrict airflow.
- Kitchen Ceiling and Walls. These areas require steam cleaning at least once a month, although bi-weekly cleaning may be necessary depending on the amount of grease and food particle buildup.
- Kitchen Floor. Kitchen floors should be cleaned daily as they are prone to the accumulation of food particles, grease, and tracked-in dirt.
- Ovens and Ranges. These should be commercial steam cleaned weekly, with particular attention to the door, racks, and walls of the oven.
- Refrigeration Units. Although they may be less exposed to airborne grease and food particles, refrigerator condenser coils and surfaces still require regular steam cleaning (and are often a source of mold and mildew).
FAQs of cleaning commercial kitchens with steam
There are a number of questions you may have regarding the use of commercial steam cleaners. We will delve into a few of the most common.
Can I steam clean wooden kitchen cabinets?
Wooden surfaces often pose a problem as they can be easily damaged if exposed to the wrong type of cleanser. Fortunately, commercial steam cleaners are an effective method of cleaning wooden cabinets as long as the wood is sealed.
Can you use a steam cleaner on stainless steel?
Absolutely—in fact, we highly recommend this. Commercial steam cleaners are an ideal way to clean stainless steel without the use of harsh chemicals.
What is the best commercial steam cleaner?
Our TruBlu Dry Steam Cleaners and Electro-Steam Eagle Series are both excellent options. These steam cleaners provide a penetrating clean that reaches every surface, killing pathogens and leaving your commercial kitchen deeply sanitized.
Contact Electro-Steam for Your Steam Cleaning Needs
Electro-Steam has offered high quality, reliable steam cleaners since 1952. We are proud to manufacture all of our products in the USA, and our knowledgeable staff is always ready to assist you in choosing the sanitation solution that will perfectly suit your unique needs. For help with your commercial kitchen cleaning needs, contact us today.